Are you getting the error ‘You need permission to perform this action’ on your windows pc/laptop? So here is the full detailed article for you to get out of the problem of “You Need Permission To Perform This Action” along with fix laptop keyboard not working. By reading this article you will get all details and you will resolve your problem so stick to the article. With this problem on your pc, you aren’t able to use files, folders or so many software which you use daily. This means that this issue will waste your so much time and mess your all work. Here are the 7 methods by which you can solve the problem if one doesn’t work for you then try another one because all the methods are the legit and the best way to solve the error.
What Will Cause “You need permission to perform this action“ error? The direct cause of the issue is not able to detect because it can blink because of so many reasons, users appear to notice when he gets the message of your permissions getting messed up. When these permissions become altered in the wrong manner, it may result in errors appearing like the one this article is all about. It may become so much frustrating because as even with an administrator account, you will not have the ability to create new folders and files or even change or delete existing ones. Another possible reason for the issue can be the use of specific third-party software or malware disease.
Here in this post, we are going to tell you everything about the “You Need Permission To Perform This Action” error and will provide you the best steps to fix the “You Need Permission To Perform This Action” error in Windows. Almost every Windows problem has a similar solution, so in case you are troubling in solving other issues on Windows even then, you can try following the methods mentioned on this page to get rid of them. Whatever problem caused we are here to solve the you need permission to perform this action problem within minutes. So let’s just move on to the method by which you can solve the problem.
- Also Read About: Best Keylogger Software For Windows
How To Fix “You Need Permission To Perform This Action”
Method #1. Turn Off Your Third-Party Antivirus
First of all, you have to temporarily disable non-Microsoft antivirus software. This can be one of the reasons for the error you get of “You need permission to perform this action”. If this is the issue with the error so you have to contact your vendor or consider going for another antivirus software.
Note: Though your third-party antivirus software is disabled, then turn on Windows Defender, which is the built-in Windows 10 safety applications, to give your PC the essential security as you attempt to resolve this error.
- Also Read About: Fix System Service Exception Stop Code
Method #2. Scan System For Malware Removal
If the first method doesn’t work for you to solve you need permission to perform this action problem then it is now time to check your system and find for malware. Your pc can be affected by the malware that can be the reason you are getting the “You need permission to perform this action” error. Running the malware scan using Windows Defender will help the pc to check them for any such malware and will remove malware. If this works then you would not get the error. So how you can scan your computer for malware, let’s do it:-
To scan your system with Windows Defender in Windows 10:-
- Click Start then Settings and last select Update & Security.
- Then you have to click on the Windows Security option from the menu which is on the left and then select Virus & Threat Protection.
- A new window pop up, In that click on Scan Options link then select Full Scan.
- This takes longer than a Quick Scan and gets out all the sneaky viruses or malware hiding in your PC.
- In the scan, if you have found any threats. Then you have to take the action accordingly after the completion of the scan
- Check whether your pc is OK and the problem has been solved.
To scan your system with Windows Defender in Windows 8:-
- First Of all, you have to click the Start Button, then have to go to the Search Box.
- Then you have to input Windows Defender and have to select Windows Defender from the list
- Now, Windows Defender will open in a separate window.
- Then you have to move to the Update section.
- Select Home and then do navigate to Scan Options.
- Finally, Select Full and click on choose Scan Now.
To scan your system with Windows Defender in Windows 7:-
- First of all, you have to visit the Start Menu and Then search for Defender into the Search box
- Then finally you have to click Windows Defender from the list and then select the Scan option.
- Wait for the scanning to finish and then you can Quarantine/Remove/Disable detected apps and services as per your needs.
Method #3. Reboot Your PC In Safe Mode
If this method also does not work for you to solve you need permission to perform this action problem then you can go with the other one. Rebooting PC in safe mode will disable some services and apps from your PC which might be causing this issue. You can easily find it out by rebooting the PC in safe mode and this method can be used when you are facing other issues like Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death.
It depends on your needs whether you want to boot Safe Mode with Networking or Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Since we are not going to run commands in the Safe Mode, we will recommend you to stick with the normal safe mode boot up. Just follow the steps mentioned below to boot your Windows devices in safe mode to fix you need permission to perform this action issue.
To do this in Windows 10/Windows 8 follow the steps:-
- First of all click on your Start button then go to Power.
- Press and hold the Shift Key and while holding it you have to click Reboot.
- Then Your PC will start to reboot into the Troubleshoot screen.
- Troubleshoot and then click on Advanced Options.
- After that click on Startup Settings and then Restart.
- After your PC will reboot you have to click F4.
- A list of options will appear on your screen, just select Safe Mode and press Enter.
- Check whether your pc is OK and the problem has been solved.
To do this in Windows 7 in Safe Mode follow the steps:-
- Save your work which you are doing and then do restart your PC.
- While the pc is botting at the same time you have to press F8 before the Windows loading screen pop up.
- Then at last you have to select the option of Safe Mode and then check the problem has been resolved the issue or not.
If these following steps have not worked for you then also so many ways are their so don’t panic.
Method #4. Change The Ownership For The Problematic Item
Not get the you need permission to perform this action issue resolved then let’s try another way to solve the problem, which is changing the ownership which has the permission issues. You can also use the Windows update troubleshooter to find if any recently installed Windows updates are causing this issue or not. Sometimes, you might have to roll-back a Windows update to get rid of such errors. We will recommend you to follow the steps mentioned below to change the ownership of the app that is causing this issue.
- First Right-click on the object which is blocked by the ‘You needs permission to perform this action’ message.
- Then click on the Properties and proceed to the Security tab and then select the Advanced button.
- Go to Navigate to the Owner section and then click on Change after that You will see the Select User or Group window.
- Then go to the Enter the object name to select the field and you have to type administrators or your username then click on the check names button and finally click OK.
- You have to check to Replace Owner On Sub Containers and then objects and Apply then click Ok.
Another way by which you can do take ownership of the problematic item is by using Command Prompt:
- First, on your keyboard, you have to press the Windows Key and S buttons at the same time to open the Search field then Type ‘CMD’ (without quotes).
- Then select Command Prompt from the list of options and then right-click on it after that choose to run it as administrator.
- Provide your confirmation or administrator credentials if you have asked for it.
- The elevated command prompt will open then you have to type the following commands (“path_to_folder” should be the actual path to your problematic folder):
takeown /f “path_to_folder” /r /d y
icacls “path_to_folder” /grant administrators:F /T
- Then Close your Command Prompt and restart your computer/pc.
Check if this trick has resolved your problem, if not try another one.
Method #5. Check Your Security Permissions
If even if you have tried 4 methods then also your problem ‘You need permission to perform this action’ does not solve then take a closer look at your security permissions there can be the issue. Many times people were able to resolve this issue as well as Google Chrome sync not working after fixing the security permissions of their system and the program in question. It is very easy to visit the security center and change the security permissions of the tools and apps that you are using on your system. Just follow the steps mentioned below to change security permissions on your Windows PC.
- First Right-Click on the problematic file then open the folder or app and then click Properties from the menu.
- Go to Navigate to the Security tab and you will find the account which permissions you wish to check in the Group or User Names section then Click on the Edit button.
- Then select the account in question and navigate to the Permissions section.
- In the allow column, you have to check Full Control and click on Apply then Click OK to save the changes.
- Once you have done it, simply reboot your PC and check the issue has been solved or not.
Method #6. Reinstall The Affected App
If any app is present which always asks you permission then you might have to reinstall it to fix you need permission to perform this action error in Windows. To uninstall the app you can either use the traditional way of doing it from the Control Panel or App Center in Windows 10 or use third-party app uninstallers like IObit Uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller, CCleaner, etc.
The only advantage you get with these tools is that they remove the registry and residual leftovers of the uninstalled programs and apps. Since we are re-installing the app you can follow any method you want. To uninstall the affected program, start following the steps mentioned below.
In Windows 10:-
- First, go to your Start menu and click on the Settings option.
- Then go to navigate to System and select the Apps and Features.
- After you have reached to Apps and Features search for the app you wish to uninstall.
- At last, select it and click Uninstall.
- Confirm your action if prompted.
In Windows 8:-
- First click on the Start icon then the Start screen will open.
- After that Locate the app you want to remove and right-click on its icon.
- Then the toolbar will show up at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Uninstall from the list of options that appear on your screen.
- Then you will be sent to the Programs and Features section at last-click Uninstall.
In Windows 7:-
- First, click on the Windows icon.
- Click on Control Panel to open it.
- Then go to the Programs after that click on Uninstall A Program.
- Locate the program which you want to uninstall and then click on it.
- Click Uninstall and provide the confirmation.
- Then You can install this app again and can check if you can use it.
Method #7. Fix Your System Registry
If all of the fixes above have failed to assist you in solving you need permission to perform this action error, the chances are that your Windows Registry is damaged or corrupted. If you like it or not, you can not keep it this way, so your registry ought to be repaired with no additional delay. Sometimes you might get there is a problem with this Windows installer package while installing an app again. However, you shouldn’t rush into editing it, as even a very small error can literally lead to tragedy.
As such, so as to avoid damaging your system beyond repair, consider using a particular tool that could do the job without exposing your computer to the chance of going haywire. 100% free Auslogics Registry Cleaner is exactly what the doctor ordered: you can loosen up a little and have your registry repaired by this intuitive and reliable instrument.
This is the full detailed article on How To Fix “You Need Permission To Perform This Action”. Here we have shared 7 best methods to solve you need permission to perform this action error. We hope that this method has worked for you and you have solved the error. The steps which are in the article are so much easy to follow and you don’t need to be any profession to do this, steps that are here are so much easy and can easily replicate.
We will keep this post updated with more methods to fix you need permission to perform this action issue, so keep visiting Windows Billy to know about them. If you ever get any other problem related to the file access denied error message we are here for you every time to fix the problem. Hope you have liked the article and get the information correctly, if you are facing any issues in fixing you need permission to perform this action issue, then let us know via the comments below.