As we all know, Microsoft regularly releases new updates on Windows 10 operating system, for patching issues related to security, reliability, stability, and performance. Many of us have faced several problems while downloading and installing new updates, and to overcome these errors, the Windows Update Troubleshooter program is used. Microsoft provides security updates, optional updates, recommended updates as well as critical updates for a smoother running experience for the user. Windows Update is a service from Microsoft that enables automatic download and installation of updates on the operating system over the internet.
It keeps on checking for new updates for the Windows operating system and automatically downloads and installs them to keep Windows up to date. During the installation of the new update, an error might occur related to the Windows Update program. These errors occur when the Windows Update program can’t check for new updates and shows error messages with various error codes, or when it keeps checking for updates for some time and gets stuck or frozen or sometimes even crashes. The other times the Windows Update program finds new updates but is unable to download or install them, or maybe it downloads and installs an update.
When it checks for new updates, the Windows Upgrade might again find the same update, and when it tries to download the same update again, it gives an error message. Thus, we see that there are several different issues and errors related to the Windows Update program that all of us might have to face from time to time during installation of the updates for the Windows operating system. To overcome these errors, Microsoft provides a solution for us in the form of the official fix-it tool named the Windows Update Troubleshooter. First, let us now learn what the term troubleshooting means.
- Also Read About: Fix Blue Screen of Death Error
What Is Windows Troubleshooting?
Troubleshooting originally means identifying and analyzing the cause of an error in the management flow or the flow of work of a system, which is generally caused by a failure of some kind. When any unexpected or undesirable error occurs, the troubleshooting program first isolates the specific cause or causes of the occurred error and then takes action to correct the error to prevent further failures of a similar kind. Windows provides a Troubleshooter program that helps in correcting several errors occurring in the operating system. Sometimes before using the Troubleshooter program, performing some basic steps might help in resolving an update error.
Here are some of the basic steps to fix almost any problem or error in Windows:
Restarting The PC or Laptop
This helps in stopping some of the processes running in the background, which helps in the smoother running of the Windows Update program. If everything on your screen is freezer, then you can also press CTRL + ALT + Delete button together to get an advanced menu. From there you can restart your system easily. Else, the only option left is force shutting down the device by using the power button.
Freeing Up Space (Clean Temporary Files)
Sometimes, due to the lack of storage, errors might occur while trying to download and install updates on your device. This can be overcome by deleting some temporary files from the ‘Storage’ option in the Settings. You can either use some third-party cleaner apps like CCleaner or do it yourself too. It is very clean to clean temporary files and you can do that in just a few steps. The best method is to open the Run box and type “cleanmgr” (without quotes) and running the clean manager tool. Alternatively, you can also run %temp% and temp command in the same Run box to clean every file in the opened folder.
- Read About: Best Registry Cleaner Apps
There are times when your Windows Update program checks and try to install the same update more than once. In that case, pausing updates is a feasible option. If you have started facing issues with your system after installing a Windows update, then you can also consider uninstalling it to see if it is causing the issue. Though we will recommend you to keep your Windows system up to date by downloading and installing the latest released Windows update, but sometimes it is better to uninstall and install the updates manually.
How To Fix Windows Update Troubleshooter Automatically
Windows 10 operating system provides a Windows Update Troubleshooter tool that can analyze and resolve common problems with the update installation process.
Follow these steps, to use the troubleshooter to fix problems with Windows Update:
- Go to the Start Menu and click on the Settings option.
- Find the Update & Security option and click on it.
- Then click on the Troubleshoot option.
- Under the Get Up and Running section, select the Windows Update option. If you are not able to get this option, then click on Additional Troubleshooters.
- Click the Run The Troubleshooter button.
Once it encounters an issue, you can click on Apply This Fix button to fix the issue immediately or click on Skip This Fix if you think that the issue found by the tool is not important or you don’t want to fix that issue and the tool will continue the troubleshooting process.
After the Troubleshooter detects and resolves all issues present in your system, it will show a Troubleshooting Report, which is nothing but a summary of all issues checked and found in your system. Now you can run the Windows Update program again in your computer system without any problem.
- Also Read: Best Junk Removal Tool For Windows
How To Fix Windows Update Error Manually
There are times when the Troubleshooter might not be able to fix the issues of the Windows update installation. In that case, manual intervention is needed. Given below are some ways you can fix an update issue by yourself easily:
Install Windows Updates Manually
For this, first, you need to know the architecture type of your Windows operating system. If you do not know, simply type Control Panel in the search bar, then click on it. Find the System and Security options and click there. Then click on System, and you will get to know your system type. You can also look for it in the Design specification under the About option of the System in your Settings. Now that you know the system architecture type, whether it is 64-bit or 32-bit windows architecture, you can proceed with downloading the update manually.
For this follow the following steps:
- Open the Windows Update history page.
- From the left side, click the version of Windows 10 that you want to install and note the knowledge base number or the KB number.
- Now go to the Microsoft Update Catalog page and search for the KB number you had noted previously.
- Click on the Download button for your system architecture type and select the .msu download link to save the package on your device.
Once the download is complete, proceed to install the update manually using the following step by step guide:
- In the Search bar type Command Prompt, right-click the option, and select the Run As Administrator option in the context menu.
- Type the following command to install the update and press Enter.
wusa C:\PATH-TO-UPDATE\NAME-OF-UPDATE.msu /quiet /norestart
- Here, replace the ‘PATH TO UPDATE’ with the path address of your .msu file download and replace ‘NAME OF UPDATE’ with the name of the update in that location specified by the path address.
- After completing the installation of the update, you need to restart your system for the installation to work properly.
Install Windows Update Using Bootable USB Device
For this method, first make a temporary backup of your entire system, as this method erases all data on the computer and should be performed as the last resort only if nothing else is working. For the clean installation of the update from a bootable USB, it is assumed that you have a product key from your system. Now follow the following steps:
- Start the computer with the bootable Windows 10 USB drive connected to the port of your system.
- On prompt, press any key to boot from the device.
- On the Windows Setup, click the Next button.
- Then click on the Install Now button.
- Select the I Don’t Have A Product Key option and then click on the Next button to continue (this is assumed that your device was already activated).
- Select the edition of Windows 10 that matches the version that your product key will activate and then click on the Next button.
- Select the I Accept The License Terms option and click Next to continue.
- Click on the Custom: Install Windows Only (Advanced) option.
- Select the partition having the current installation (usually “Drive 0”), and click the Delete and then Yes.
- Now Select the empty drive (Drive 0 Unallocated Space) and click the Next button.
After this, Windows will get re-installed in your system, and you will have to repeat all the steps from when you had first started your system after purchase. This is called the out-of-box experience. In case you do not know what the out-of-box experience is, it is nothing but the initial setup of the computer. For this, you need to specify your region on prompt, after the update installation.
- Read About: How To Clean Install Windows From USB
Select the keyboard layout depending on your preferred language. You can also select a second keyboard layout if you need it, or you can just skip the step. For the next steps, you will require a secure internet connection, either wired or wireless. Now click the Set Up For Personal Use option and now log into your Microsoft account by entering the required credentials.
Now create the security pin and select your privacy settings carefully and click the Accept button. After this, you will be guided through the optional steps and need to select according to your preference. When all this is complete, you will need to restore the backup files of your previous environment. If you had used OneDrive to back up your files, then the data should already be available in the OneDrive folder. If you have used some other cloud storage or a USB drive, then you will have to restore the files in your system manually.
Thus, we see that there are many ways to solve the Windows Update problems and issues by yourself. Some are pretty easy and require a few steps while the others might be a little difficult, and you will need to be careful with the steps so that you don’t mess things up and lose your data forever. Hope this article has helped you in resolving your issues with its easy to follow steps.
We will keep this post updated with more methods to fix Windows Update Troubleshooter, so keep visiting Windows Billy to know about it. There are multiple ways available to fix this issue but the methods we have mentioned on this page work best among all. You will be able to get rid of the issues with Windows Update by following them. If you are facing any issues with the methods mentioned above, then you can ask us for help via the comments below.