Wondering how to find and fix windows 10 memory leak? If your answer is yes, then I am here to help you out. But how to fix a memory leak windows 7? A memory leak is a misplacement of resources in computer program due to faulty memory allocation. This happens when a RAM location not in use remains unreleased. In other words, it refers to space, which is not when the memory is not accessible.
Why Memory Leak is bad?
The memory leak is bad, and there is no doubt in it. As it is a bug and a flaw in the system. But the question is how it affects your system?
Well here are a couple of things that will help you to understand this thing:
- First of all, it causes memory depletion.
- The exhausting of memory results in software aging.
- It reduces the available memory and leads to increased response time and poor performance.
- It can lead to the crash of an application.
How to locate the leak?
So in order to solve a problem, you will need to identify the leak at first. So we have to locate the memory leak by following these steps:
- Affirmation: This will help us to understand whether a leak has occurred or not.
- Finding Kernel-mode memory leak: It helps us to locate a leak caused by a kernel-mode driver component.
- Finding User-mode memory leak: Locating a leak caused by user-mode driver or app.
Memory allocation: There are also different modes in which applications allocate RAM. It also can happen with google chrome windows 10 memory leak and firefox windows 10 memory leak and find windows 10 memory leak or with other downloader also may haapen like utorrent windows 10 memory leak fix 2019. If space is not freed after use, there is a high chance that you will get to see the memory leak issue. And here a couple of common allocation patterns:
- HealAlloc function for heap memory allocation.
- The C/C++ runtime equivalents are malloc and new.
- VirtualAlloc function for direct allocation from OS.
- Kernel32 APIs to hold kernel memory for the app. Example, CreateFile, CreateThread.
- User32 APIs and Gdi32 APIs.
How to Preventing memory leaks
Now the question is how to prevent memory leaks? Well to help you with this question I am going to mention a couple of points over here:
First of all, you will need to keep an eye on of your abnormal usages by individual programs and applications. For this, you can simply go to Windows task manage by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and add the columns like Handles, User Objects, GDI Objects, etc. This will help you easily monitor resource usage.
Microsoft tools to diagnose memory leaks
- There is various tool are available for memory leaks for various allocation modes:
- There is the Application verifier which diagnoses heap leaks.
- UMDH, a component of Windows for debugging tools.
- Trace capture for an analysis of RAM usage.
- You can use Xperf too to heal allocation patterns.
- There is the CRT debug heap that enables coding practices to minimize leaks.
- You can use kernel handles or some other similar pointers for Win 32 resources and heap allocations.
- You can get classes for automatic resources management for kernel allocations from ATL library. There is also the C++ standard has auto_ptr for heap allocations.
- You can use the encapsulate COM interface pointers within “smart pointers” with the help of _com_ptr_t or _bstr_t or _variant_.
- You can also monitor the .net code for abnormal memory usage.
- Try avoiding multiple exit paths for functions to let allocations be feed from variables in most blocks by the end of a function.
- You can try out native exceptions only after freeing all allocations in the _finally block.
Troubleshooting memory leaks in Windows
Just like the Various ways to prevent memory leaks, there are a bunch of ways to stop memory leaks too. And these are some of the options:
1. Close processes and restart.
First of all you can close process and then restart your computer. If you get to see unnecessary processes taking too much of ram. Then simply end the process from the task manager. After that, you will need to restart your device so that the freed space is available for use by other processes. Also, you must know the fact that without a Restart memory leak issue will not be solved.
2. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tools
- First of all, save all your important work.
- After that press Win + Keys together to open up the run dialog.
- Then type down the mdsched.exe in the run window.
- After that, restart your computer.
- Once your PC restarts, you will need to perform a basic scan or you can go to the Advanced options like Test Mix or Pass Count.
- So for this, you have to press F10 to start the test.
Related Post: Remove Chromium Virus
3. Check for Driver updates
If you are not aware than following is explanation of how to check for driver updates. At times, Outdated drivers cause memory leaks. So for this, you have to keep your drivers updated. To update your driver, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, press Win key + R to open the Run Window.
- Over here, type down devmgmt.msc and then hit the enter button. This will open the device manager.
- Now simply look for outdated drivers and update them all.
- You might be missing Windows updates too, so do not forget to check that out as well.
4. Optimize performance
You have to adjust Windows for performance will also help you to fix the memory leaks in Windows issue for memory leak fix windows 10. For this, you can follow these steps:
- First of all right click on This Pc.
- Go to Properties.
- Then go to the advanced system settings from the left pane.
- Under the ‘Advanced’ tab, go to ‘Performance’, followed by ‘Settings’.
- Check ‘Adjust for best performance’ and click OK.
- Restart and check if the issue is solved.
5. Disable Programs Running on startup
You can also try disable programs that running on startup when windows 10 high memory usage 2019 happens. Disabling the troublesome programs is one of the ways to get rid of the memory leak issue and even ram leak windows 10 may happen. For this, you will need to follow these steps:
- At first press CTRL+ALT+DEL button together and then go, task manager.
- From here, select the Startup tab.
- Now disable the startup programs that you do not need to run by default.
6. Defrag Hard Drive
One of the good thing about Windows is that it does this part automatically. But if you can perform defragging for the hard drivers occasional to optimize performance. For this, follow these steps:
- First of all, go to the “This PC” or “My Computer”.
- Then right click on the system hard drive.
- Now go to the Tools located under the ‘Properties‘ and select ‘Optimize’.
- Select the drive to defrag and select ‘Analyze’.
- Restart your computer after the new fragmentation.
Related Post: How to Uninstall McAfee
7. ClearPage File at shutdown
You can also clearpage file at shutdown if you wish to windows 10 cpu 100 usage for no reason. However, this might sound complicated to you. But you can go ahead and follow these steps:
- First of all type down Regedit on the search bar to open the Registry Editor.
- Then go to this following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory Management.
- Now simply change the value of the ClearPageFileAtShutDown to ‘1’.
- Save the changes and Restart the device.
- That is it.
9. Disable Superfetch
Superfecth optimizes your performance of minimizing the boot time. It allows Windows to manage RAM usage. However, it will not give a great performance though. But you can try these steps to spot a problem.
- First of all search services.msc in the search bar to go to Services Manager.
- Over here, look for Superfetch.
- Then right click and go to properties.
- Now select stop.
- Also ‘Disable’ the service from the drop-down menu.
- Restart the PC and check if the performance has improved.
- Enable Superfetch back if this one didn’t work.
10. Check for Malware
In the end, you can check for Malware. Simply use some third party antivirus application for the job apart from Windows defender. By using antivirus software, you will need to look for Malware in your system.
So that was all for the windows 10 memory leak fix. Now go ahead and try these methods out and see which one is working the best for you with memory leak fix windows 10. Also, if you have any more questions to ask. Then do feel free to comment below or visit this official website here.
Related Post: Reimage Repair