If you are one of such persons who share his or her computer with others and want to keep some files confidential. Then this is the best place to find answer for how to password protect a folder. There are quite a lot of ways to do so. Like you can use the Windows’s own system only. Or you can use some third party software to get done with the job.
Even the best option would be to create each account for all the Windows users. This way, you will have your own space on your computer.
However, to make you understand in a better way, I am going to mention all the steps that you have to follow to create a password protect folder. So here we go:
How to password protect folder– A complete Guide
Password Protect Folders
Using a password to protect a folder means, that you will need to enter a password to the see the list of documents or files in a specific folder and see how to password protect a folder like how to password protect a zip file. Even you can also password protect individual files in a password protected folder or in a folder without password protection. Well, no matter what you want to do, the process is similar for all types of password protection with a password generator software.
To refer how to password protect a folder in windows 7 follow steps:
- From the Windows explorer, you will navigate to the folder you wish to password protect.
- After that right click on the folder.
- Then go to properties from the menu.
- From the new menu, click the General tab.
- Now click on the Advanced button and select Encrypt content to secure data.
- Click OK. Your Windows username and password will be used.
- In the end, double click on the folder to start using it. But you should know how to put a password on a folder.
Windows 8 and Windows 10
Well, if you are not aware that how to password protect a folder in windows 10 or how to password protect a folder in windows 8, then try this section. It is not easy to password protect a folder on Windows 8 and Windows 10. Instead, you will have to download a third party software or use a zipped folder for the job and know how to lock a folder in windows 10. There is quite a lot of third party software available out there. Make sure to read about the software before downloading one.
If you do not wish to download any third party software, then the zipped folder is the best solution available for you and how to set password for folder. All you have to do is put all your files in a zip folder and lock it down a with a password. Anyway, to make you understand in a better way here are the steps that you have to follow:
- First of all, from the Windows Explorer, select all the files that you wish to protect.
- After that right click on them and select send to.
- Then select the Zip folder (compressed) option.
- Follow all the screen instructions and create a zip folder.
- After that double click on the zipped file and add a password.
- As well as fill all the required information and hit the apply button and you are all done.
Apart from protecting your files with a password, you can simply hide them. Hiding files is one of the common features on Windows by making a secret folder, and it is a good alternative to the password protect file and you can also view hidden files windows 10
. To get started with this, you will need to follow these steps:
- First of all, right click on the file or folder that you wish to hide.
- Then go to the properties.
- Now from the general tab, you have to place a tick on Hidden.
- After that, apply the changes that you have made.
- Also, in case if the file or folder remains visible in the directory. Then you will need to enable another setting. For this, follow these steps:
- First of all, from the Windows explorer go to the File Tab.
- Then select options and go to the View tab.
- After that, under the Hidden files and folders section, select Don’t show hidden files, folders, or drives.
- Also, to see your hidden files or folder, repeat the instructions above, but click on Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
- You can also hide recycle bin.
There are also so many different files like how to password protect a pdf, how to password protect an excel file. And the process is also same in how to password protect a folder mac. Also you can see password protect google drive folder with same method. As this is all round article also can you password protect a folder with a 7zip password protect method.
The security is important you can read here as also applies to password protect excel and password protect word document. If you forget a password then you a password manager.
So that was all for the password protect folder. Now go ahead and check these steps out and see how they are working for you. Also, for any questions, do feel free to comment below.
Related Post: Windows Update and Security Settings in Windows 10