If you are in middle of work and you suddenly find out that your PC restarted automatically with stop code dpc watchdog violation windows 10. And the next moment all you get to see is a blue screen. And below that, there is the dpc_watchdog_violation error windows 10. Well dpc_watchdog_violation windows 10 is one of the most common errors that Windows 10 users face.
However, fixing the dpc_watchdog_violation windows 10 is not as hard as it seems. Instead, you can easily fix the issue by following a few common fixes. So let’s just go ahead and have a look at the fixes:
What is Windows DPC Watchdog Violation?
DPC stands for deferred procedure call, and the watchdog refers to the bug checker. The main job of this thing is to monitor or track down your Windows programs and performance.
And whenever you get to see the violation message, your PC watchdog has figured out some issues with your computer. Plus, the main reason behind this error is that the DPC is running for a way too long time. Or your system is stuck at the request level (IRQL) of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above with windows stop code dpc watchdog violation or bsod dpc watchdog violation.
Anyway, fixing the issue is not as hard as it seems or also the error like msdn bugcheck dpc_watchdog_violation. You can go ahead and follow these steps one by one to get rid of the error:
How to fix dpc_watchdog_violation windows 10?
Method 1: Change SATA AHCI controller driver
One of the first thing that you can do is change SATA AHCI controller driver. Even it is the most effective things that you can do to fix the issue. So for this, you will need to follow these below steps:
- From your keyboard press Win Key + X together to bring up Device Manager option. Or you can right click on Windows icon and then go to Device Manager.
- After that, you have to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
- Now right click on SATA AHCI controller and click on Properties.
- Now click on the driver details button to verify you have chosen the right controller. The right one would be iaStorA.sys is listed as a driver.
- Click OK to exit.
- Then you have to click on Update Driver.
- Then simply select Browse my computer for driver software option.
- And choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Then select Standard SATA AHCI Controller, then click Next.
After that wait for the whole process to finish. Once done, simply restart your computer and see if you are still getting the dpc_watchdog_violation windows 10 or not or even with other os like dpc watchdog violation windows 8.
Method 2: Check hardware and software compatibility
The dpc_watchdog_violation windows 10 error also occurs if Windows finds any software or hardware incompatibility. So you better check for them to make sure everything is cool with your computer for watchdog error. To check hardware and software compatibility, follow these steps:
Check hardware compatibility
If you have any external devices plugged or installed on your computer. For example, external hard disk drives, USB flash drive. Then you better disconnect all of them and restart your computer and check if everything is working fine or not. If the error stops, then plug those external devices back to your computer and restart your computer. And if you get to see the error again, then the problem is with your external devices. In this case, consider updating your device drivers.
Check software compatibility
If you see the error because you have installed some new application to your computer. Of if you have made some changes to your computer. Or if you are not sure if you really made some changes to your computer. Well no matter what the reason is, you better perform a system restore. So you can get back to the previous state of your PC.
Related Post: Windows runtime broker
Method 3: Perform a disk check
A blue screen of death also indicates a disk problem. Hence it would be a great idea to check if your disk is at a good state or not. To do so, follow these steps:
- From your keyboard, press Win Key + R button to bring the Run box.
- Now type down cmd and press Ctrl, Shift and Enter at the same time to run Command Prompt as administrator.
- On the CMD, you have to type down this command: chkdsk /f /r, then press Enter.
- In the end, press Y on your keyboard.
Now the disk check will get scheduled, next time you boot your computer. As well as it might take some moments to complete. So be patient. Also, you can skip the disk check if you are in hurry and it will get rescheduled for next time you restart your computer.
Method 4: Run Event Viewer
In the end, you can try running event viewer. Although this will not help you with any solutions. But you will be able to find the main issue that causing the dpc_watchdog_violation windows 10 error. So you can take further steps.
So for this, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all press Win key + X to open the event viewer. Or you can right click on the Windows logo and then go to Event Viewer.
- Now from the left side, you have to click on Windows Logs and then go to System.
- Over here, you will find a small window. And over here, all the issues are mentioned. You can look through them and figure out what are the problems with your computer and fix them one by one.
So that was all for the dpc watchdog violation windows 10. Now go ahead and check these steps out and see which one is working the best for you in dpc watchdog violation error. Also, if you have any more questions to ask. Then do feel free to comment below and I will surely help you out or visit official website here.
Related Post: Windows Update not Downloading