Trying to format an external hard disk, SD card or a flash drive and all you get to see is the “Windows was unable to complete the format” message?
If yes, then you are not alone. This is one of the common issues that we get to see on Windows. And the good part is that, it is not too hard to fix the issue. The main reason why this error occurs is when you select a wrong disk format or if the source is corrupted.
However, no matter why you are facing so. Here are a couple of fixes that can help you fix the windows was unable to complete the format error. So here we go:
How to solve “Windows was unable to complete the format” error?
One of the first things that you can do is use the disk management feature which is like partition manager. If your format option ends with an error. Then this can be your savior. To use the disk management feature, you can follow these steps:
- First of all right click on “This PC” or “My Computer” icon.
- Then go to Manage.
- Now from the left side menu, go to Disk Management.
- Over here you will find your disk. Simply right click on it and select format.
- After that follow all the screen instructions. And you will be good to go.
Using Command Prompt
Another thing that you can try out is command prompt. If the first solution does not work for you. Then you have to try this method to format your external drive.
Also before you go ahead and proceed with the format, note down the drive letter. For example, F:/ is the drive letter. Then launch the command prompt and type down this following code and hit the enter button.
format F: /fs:ntfs
Over here, “F” stands for the drive letter and ntfs is the file system. You have to replace the drive letter with your driver letter on your system. However, this is going to be a long process. As it takes more time than the normal formatting. So wait for a while and do not clone CMD.
EaseUS Partition Master
In the end, you can try out a third party tool called EaseUS Partition Master. It is a disk management software that is available for Windows. The software is available as a free and premium version. But there is no need to download the paid one.
- So first of all, download and install EaseUS Partition Master on your computer.
- During the installation process, it might ask you to install some other software too. So do make sure to check what kind of software it is installing except hitting the Next button continuously.
- Then launch the software and make sure that the disk you want to format is connected to your computer.
- In the end, simply right click on the drive and select Format Partition and you will be good to go or even diskpart format.
Related Post: How to compress video with a tool
So that was all for the windows was unable to complete the format solution. Now go ahead and try these methods out and see which one is working the best for you. Also, if you have any more questions to ask and more information available on official website. Then do feel free to comment below and I will surely help you out.