While working on a system, we come across several errors and issues which reduce the pace of the system and also harm its performance and credibility. This unwanted arrival of these errors seem to be really frustrating and can damage the PC to a major extent. Among several errors today, we are going to have a detailed discussion about one of these errors, i.e., blue screen, and will also be suggesting ways to deal with such major digital problems.
A “blue screen” (or “stop error”) is commonly known as the ‘Blue Screen of Death’ (BSOD), and it could make an appearance while upgrading to a new version of the OS, when the user starts one’s personal computer, or just “out of the blue” when using Windows 10. It is very similar to the FixKMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Windows 10 error and you might need to follow some steps to fix this issue as well. One of the major issues with a blue screen arises that it’s a screen with a blue background and a sad emoticon providing a not so good feel with not enough information and guidelines to give a brief idea about the problem, and thus, the user is unable to find a suitable solution.
Many times a notification pops in, which informs: “Your PC ran into a problem and restart needed immediately. Some error information needs to be collected, and then a restart will happen for you.” That provides the user with a clue of the issue occurring. But most of the time, it’s not enough to fix the problem. Fortunately, you can often deal with this major issue by narrowing the blue screen to a problem with the availability of an update for Windows, incompatible software, or hardware you recently configured.
In this article, various ways will be discussed to troubleshoot a blue screen error and keep your system upgraded and moving with a better and efficient performance. This article will suggest ways to the users to cure the various issues.
How To Fix Blue Screen of Death In Windows 10
So moving ahead, we have the first way, which will help the user in troubleshooting an error, which is uninstalling applications. An incompatible piece of software, such as an old program or unknown antivirus which damages the system, is likely the main issue that leads to improper functioning of the system. So you might need to uninstall McAfee antivirus in Windows 10 if it is installed. To resolve this, the uninstallation of several unnecessary apps or pieces of unimportant software you installed before needs to be done, by using these suggested steps:-
- The Settings App needs to be opened for further steps.
- Click on the System Icon that becomes visible on the screen
- Click on the Apps & Features option present on the screen.
- Select the app and click the Uninstall button available.
Following the provided instructions, step by step will help the user to get a proper check and uninstall unwanted applications and get rid of the error. Repeating the suggested steps is necessary to remove every piece of software that may be the root cause of the problem. Once the process of upgrading to the latest version of Windows 10 is performed successfully, then the user of the system can reinstall the apps, and they should work properly as per expectations after the problem has been resolved.
Windows 10 Disk Cleanup
The second way that comes next in the list is re-downloading upgrade files. It’s possible that one needs to witness a blue screen because of damaged setup files, in which case it is extremely essential to re-download the installation files. If a constant effort is being made to upgrade using Windows Update, then this can be done with the help of a tool, namely, Disk Cleanup or Clean Master For PC, which is used to eliminate the files which were downloaded before. When one does this, Windows Update will start the process of re-installation of the file once again.
For the apt usage of the Disk Cleanup tool, few steps need to be followed in an arranged manner:-
- Click on the Start Button and type “Disk Cleanup” (without quotes).
- Tap Run As Administrator on the right tab.
- Select drive “Windows C” and click on the OK button present.
- Click on the Clean Up System Files button available.
- Check for the Windows Update Cleanup and tick mark this option (if not checked).
- Click on the OK button to get rid of the selected files.
- Once the steps are completed, one can make an effort to upgrade one more time by making the use of Windows Update available.
Installing The Latest Windows 10 Updates
Although the installation by OS updates automatically, it’s almost possible that an update may be found absent on your PC. To make a check for updates on Windows 10, following methods need to be applied:-
- Open Start.
- Click on Update & Security option
- Click on the Windows Update option present on the screen.
- Click the Check For Updates button appearing on the next screen.
If you want, then you can also disable Windows 10 update, to get rid of Blue Screen error in Windows 10 in the future.
Installing The Latest Device Driver Updates
In the case that one is getting a stop error because of the presence of an outdated device driver, then these methods need to be applied.
- Using the combination of the Windows Key + X button present on the keyboard helps to open the Power User menu.
- Click on the Device Manager icon present on the screen.
- Expand the device, which is the root cause of the problem.
- Make a right-click on the device, and Update Driver Software should be selected.
- Click the Search Automatically option on the screen for the updated driver software options present.
Disconnecting Non-Essential Hardware
Sometimes, a blue screen is visible after connecting new hardware to a PC. When this occurs, there can be multiple reasons for that. The problem could be the absence of compatible, broken connections, or the OS is trying to install the wrong driver. If an old device is being connected, then here the problem of compatibility with Windows 10 arises.
A proper check of the hardware manufacturer’s support website should be done to find the compatibility status. If it’s not, then a suitable replacement needs to be done with a new model. It could also happen that the peripheral goes wrong; in such an unfortunate situation, there arises a need to get a new one with better and efficient performance.
In case the OS is trying to install the wrong driver, then eventually, one needs to download the latest device driver from the manufacturer’s support website. With the proper application of the above-mentioned ways for the uninstallation of the current driver and re-installation of the one that has been manually downloaded, your problem will be fixed.
Uninstall/Update The Software Causing BSOD Error
Absence of compatibility becomes a major issue, with the current version of Windows 10, every time a user tries to open the application, a BSOD will make an appearance. To resolve this issue, do a proper check of one’s software company’s support website to see if there is a new update available or upgrade which can be downloaded and installed on one’s personal computer.
You can also check Windows update history to see if there is any specific update for that program. If there isn’t any new update, you’ll need to uninstall the application in question by applying the following steps:
- Click on the Start Button and search for Control Panel.
- Click on Programs -> Programs and Features.
- A list of all installed software will get displayed on your screen.
- Select the program that you think might be causing the blue screen Windows 10 issue.
- Click on the Uninstall option from the top.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall that program.
- Download and install the latest version of that software and try running it again.
The directions provided need to be followed properly in order to complete the uninstallation process. You can also take advantage of uninstaller tools like CCleaner, Revo Uninstaller, ioBit Uninstaller, and many more to get rid of the residual files of the uninstalled programs.
Fixing Blue Screen Using Restore Point
If the user is unable to access the desktop, and the system is constantly failing to get started. Then the following actions need to be performed:-
- While the “Choose an option” appears on the screen, then select the Troubleshoot option.
- Click on Advanced options available.
- Click on the System Restore option.
- After the rebooting of the system is done, your account needs to be selected, and sign in shall be done.
- Click on the Next icon present on the screen.
When a new update is installed, a system restore point can also be created manually. Selection of the restore point that was created before the blue screen made an appearance.
- Make a click on Next.
- Click the Finish option to make the restore point be applied.
Then all the updates and drivers configured after the restoring point was actually created will be deleted, which can provide a major helping hand in getting rid of the error occurred.
Fixing Blue Screen Using Safe Mode
In an alternate manner, the uninstallation of an update Or device driver can be done with the help of the Safe Mode In Windows when access to the system has been lost. If you can’t access the desktop, let the PC disappoint you by not getting started for minimum three times to activate the automatic repair environment, and then the following steps need to be performed:-
- Select the Troubleshoot option present on the Choose an option screen.
- Click on advanced options visible on the screen.
- Click on Startup Settings.
- Click on the Restart button available.
After the process of rebooting is done, press F4 or the F8 key to make a choice to Enable Safe Mode. Once the user makes an entry into safe mode, depending on what’s the root cause of the problem, the above-mentioned steps can be used to resolve the problem.
Doing A Clean Installation of Windows 10
A user can make a difference by preventing blue screen errors appearing during an upgrade, if one chooses to eliminate each and everything and decides to make a fresh start with a clean copy of the OS, in place of performing an in-place upgrade. To make a clean and proper installation of Windows 10, follow the necessary steps:-
- Starting the system with the help of USB-bootable installation media shall be done.
- Click on the Next icon.
- Click the Install Now option present on the screen.
- Click on I don’t have a product key link to skip this step and move further.
- Check the I accept the license term option and then click on Next.
- The selection of the OS that the user wishes to install needs to be done.
- The custom shall be chosen. Installing windows only option present.
- Selection and elimination of the primary partition with the Windows 10 installation need to be done.
- Click on the Next option visible on the screen.
The on-screen directions need to be followed in order to complete the installation process properly. When the process of installation of Windows 10 is accomplished, then reinstallations of all applications and restoration of the files is to be done from the backup.
The arrival of a BSOD error on Windows 10 can be a frustrating experience, but there are numerous ways present that can help in getting rid of these digital issues. If, after constant efforts, the problem continues to occur and you are unable to find the appropriate way to resolve the issue, you can also contact your manufacturer and inform them about the issues disturbing you and seek help for the same.
I hope this article will help our readers in the best way possible to resolve this major blue screen issue from their Windows 10. Keep visiting Windows Billy as we will keep updating this article with more methods to fix Windows 10 blue screen error. If you know about any working method other than these, then let us know via the comments below. These ways will help the readers to eliminate these unwanted issues from their system and will also enhance the performance of the system.